Sunday, August 28, 2011

AWIP: Like Children

"A Week In Pictures" (AWIP) captures the ups, downs, ins, and outs of my journey here with the Refugees and World Relief. Pictures may not be of best quality, due to sporadic and sometimes unexpected moments, but you'll get picture (pun intended).

* * * * * * *

Like children,
we all have a long way to go...

Day 1

Waiting in line for immunizations,
while observing the "American Children"
for the first time, causes deep reflection...

Where am I?
Why am I here?
Who are these people?

Day 1

We must learn to communicate
(in a new language, for some)
... just to get by:
to eat
to live
to survive

Day 1

And speaking of eating,
check out this fancy slice
on a Monday night.

I mean, come on, 12 hour days
I gotta eat.
 
Day 2

If you know me,
you also know how I  
LOVE babies.

::sarcasm::
Babies are cute and all
but they don't have teeth,
they're super small
and cry quite a bit.

Didn't think I'd see
this guy for a while.
But there he is, in my car
laughing at my face, 
as I try --covered in sweat-- to get him in.

Car seats. 
'Nough said.
 
Day 2

Hey TB clinic!
I hear we're gonna be friends.
Or at least, I'll be a frequent visitor.

Day 3

As a child,
school enrollment is the start 
of a new chapter.

Oh the places you'll go--
as soon as we leave this place.

Be patient.

Day 4

Something your mom may not teach you:
iPhones are the best, for making new friends.

"Come on girls! Lets all cram 
our heads together to get a picture."
"What! You have a facebook?!"
"Me too."

Friends, period.
History in the making.

Day 4

And like Children, it takes us a while
to warm up to new cultures, much less,
new friends.

A prayer walk, through the complex
to find out how we can pray for the 
refugee families can be awkward at first.
But also, like children, 
we're shy at first sight...
and then we hate to see you go.
Day 5

Transportation is easy,
when you have a car.
So lets take the bus!

It'll take us where we need to go,
and at $3 a day, we'll make due.

* * *
... and God said, 
"Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, 
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
(Matthew 18:3)

It's not easy to become trustworthy,
super loving, innocent, and helpless.

But God's gotta plan,
and He's gotta way.

How have you trusted God, like a child, lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some love, a question(s) or advice.