Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Becoming American

We the people
in order to form a more 
"perfect union"....


make tests to become an 
American citizen
really hard.

Just saying.


 A refugee IS a resident of the US;
however, after enjoying their first 5 years
they are to take a test in English
to become a "permanent resident."


Something like that.


First it's simple:
- How many colors are in the American flag?
-Who is the current president of the US?
-How many states are there in the US?


Then it gets a little harder:
-What are the duties of Congress?
-Can you name two Senators from your state?
-How many terms can a president serve?


Then it gets intense:
-Can you name the 13 original states?
-What holiday was celebrated for the first time by American colonists?
-What did the Emancipation Proclamation do?



Low and behold, 
I'm here to help them,
and teach them, 
the subject I so desperately despise.

Shoot. I don't even know some of the answers,
and that makes me feel a little, umm
whats the word? Privileged?
Glad I'm American?
Not sure.


***

Becoming American is hard.


It entails English,
learning facts about our nation,
that not even a "home grown" American knows,
off hand
without googling. 


It takes them two-three years to
study every word (and its meaning),
that could possibly be on the exam.


Then another year or so, 
to actually understand the questions.

Perhaps I don't get it?

All I know is that I'm glad
that there's a High Priest 
who makes intercession for me.


Because, I need it
and so do those refugees.


What do you think?

Is the test too hard? -or-
Should we all just 'get over it'
and learn the stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave some love, a question(s) or advice.